Wednesday 15 June 2011

Plant food pong

The after work gardener, Wednesday 15 June

Why didn't someone tell me just how nostril noxious plant feed made from nettles would be?

Having been inspired by Kate Bradbury's Gardeners' World Blog on Growing giant sunflowers, and her tips on making nitrogen-rich nettle plant feed, tonight was the night that my bolstering brew came to fruition.

The recipe: Part fill one bucket with nettles, weigh down nettles with a stone and cover with water, simmer for 2 weeks.  To serve: Dilute 1 part nettle to 10 parts water, and watch plants blossom and bloom.

So...following on from my post at the beginning of June where I blithely joke about nettle stings and cheap gardening gloves, today is the day I blithely joke no more.  Nettle plant feed virgins take note - this stuff stinks.  When instructions say mind the smell, take heed, linger on this word, fully appreciate the aromatic implication of its meaning.

How did I not know that this nauseating nettle mix would smell so shocking? Why was I not aware of the retching repulsiveness of this stinking stew?  Why did I omit to Google search this loathsome liquid's obnoxious odour, and why was there not a warning that following a fetid feed an entire garden would hum like a stagnant pond?

I am labouring this putrid point somewhat, but it is simply to offer the naive gardener advice.  Only with the wonders of hindsight do I now know to change out of office clothes before embarking on such a stomach-churning chore.  It is only after half an hour of scrubbing floors (thankfully not carpeted) that I can advise to remove gardening shoes before walking around a house, leaving a faecal footprint trail.

However, as I type, with the enduring odour rising from my over scrubbed finger nails, I count my whiff-free blessings that at least I harvested the lettuce, radishes, spinach, mange tout and parsley, before coating everything in this obnoxious substance.  I take stink-free solace that I enjoyed sitting in the early evening garden sun before the rotting aroma ruined the chance of ever leaving the house again, and I thank the stench-free stars that I didn't, as I might have done, water the entirety of my house plants with this loathsome liquid.

So, I may wake up tomorrow to a scene from the day of the triffids, or perhaps complaints from my neighbours that my garden smells like a cesspit - who knows? I just hope that this nitrogen fix will boost the vegetable plants.  My seed grown tomatoes are distinctly stunted and lacking in flowers, my peppers look like they'll never fuel a stir-fry, and I can't imagine my tiny little aubergine plants ever producing a polished purple fruit.

Maybe the garden stench will scare next door's cat away, or perhaps attract even more to the garden?  Maybe I should have used cumfrey instead - would it have smelt as bad?  What ever the answers are - nettle novices out there beware.  Wear gloves, wear a toxic suit, peg your nose, and have home-grown lavender at the ready to alleviate your assaulted senses - one thing's for sure, this home-made stuff stinks.

No comments:

Post a Comment