Saturday 4 June 2011

My 'Good Life' moment

The after work gardener, Saturday 4 June 2011

I would just like to take a minute to luxuriate in my own little glorious 'Good Life' moment.  Usually starting my blog with tales of death and destruction, it is with an amateur gardener's glee that I am able to regale you with the delights of feasting on food produced from my very own veggie plot. 

As pictured left, I have just devoured a homegrown lettuce and spinach sandwich - on rye, with a perfectly crunchy side-helping of hand-reared radish, washed down with an effusive infusion of personally planted marvellous mint tea.  Now, if only the bread had been homemade, and the mint tea had been boiled in rainwater from a solar-powered kettle, then my self-sufficiency would be complete - but for now, sat on my Argos bistro garden set, staring out over my little veggie patch, reeling from living the dream - I truly feel like Felicity Kendal in my own little 'Good Life' moment.   

Of course, at the back of my mind I am waiting for Margo to materialise in a haze of floral chiffon and a cacophony of "Jerry" to berate me for nibbling around the slug bites on the radish, and ignoring the crunch of badly washed lettuce.  But for now, in this moment of homegrown bliss, all is good in the world, and indeed, if the truth be fully known, in a second of blind euphoria I have even stroked next door's cat - something I know I shall live to regret. 

So perhaps it's the afterglow of the fabulous champagne afternoon tea I have just enjoyed at the Charlotte Street Hotel, further compounded by the fact that maybe I'm not seeing straight - but the garden is actually looking very good.  And contemplating my toils in the soft focus haze of the late afternoon sun, it brings a smile to my face to see that since I last checked, my little family of beans and peas have blossomed into flower - ruby red ones on the runners, little lilac ones on the french beans, and wonderfully white ones on the mangetout - and to top it all, my second crop of radishes are cresting. 

I think I might finally be getting the hang of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment