Only one fruit and it has kept me in food for an entire week. There was me being disappointed that the plant hadn't produced more...but I've no idea how I would have managed unless I was feeding a family of four. Plus there was the final four rhubarb stalks which I cunningly transformed into a delicious crumble, that also lasted me a week. Sorry runner beans and French beans, I'm back to you, boiled and drizzled with butter for the week ahead.
My first worry with the pumpkin was that its scaly outer shell was an indication of it being rotten inside, but thankfully no - fleshy, orange, sweet and perfect. I'm not the greatest of cooks (although I am realising more and more that vegetable growing and cooking actually go hand in hand), but I did manage a great pumpkin soup, roasted pumpkin, and a vat of pumpkin risotto. It was delicious. Thank goodness I've kept my old margarine containers, as I clearly hadn't enough Tupperware to go around.
Note to self that roasted pumpkin is extremely easy - slice, drizzle with oil, season and roast for 40 mins, done. However, I did have a mishap with the pepper mill and ended up tipping the entire unmilled contents into the roasting tin by mistake. It added a great amount of flavour, but was a little bit overkill on taste, and rather difficult to digest! I also never knew that roasted pepper could be such a great added topper to salads, mixed with couscous and even on a cracker.
Anyway, pumpkin is now all gone, as is the rhubarb crumble. So now I am focusing all my thoughts on willing the tomatoes to turn red (all ideas welcome). I have now had my first three - which were delicious - but I'm keen that the other hundred or so, languishing in bunches on my army of plants, ripen up before the first frost.
With my burgeoning cooking skills I want to try my hand at oven-dried tomatoes in olive oil.