Friday 8 July 2011

Blueberries

The after work gardener, Friday 8 July

Breakfasts have never tasted so 'super-food' good.

Accustomed as I am to my daily dose of porridge, it has been a welcome blessing to spice up this cholesterol reducing gruel with handfuls of home-grown blueberries.  Even with next door's cat - currently my best friend, (although I still don't know his/her name) patrolling the garden for me - I've been nervously watching my solitary blueberry bush to see if the occasional visiting blackbird will strip it bare whilst I'm away at work.

Ideally, in my Good Life world, I was hoping to wait for a bumper blueberry harvest to then make a batch of muffins with which to delight my colleagues at work.  However, due to my over worrying dispostion I have instead been picking these fruits religiously on a daily basis to spice up my morning meal.  These early picked fruits have been tasting somewhat tart, so probably could have done with a few more days on the bush, but never-the-less, it has been a joy to go a foraging for berries each day before breakfast, and it looks like there should be enough for the week ahead.

Elsewhere on the patch the thornless blackberry bush which I bought in spring, has been growing vigorously, but no flowers or fruits as yet (they did warn of this in the first year), and the new growth on the raspberry bush dug up from dad's allotment is going into flower again, but no fruit as yet.  On the other hand, the rhubarb - following my over-picking a month ago has really taken off, and is flattening all radishes and cut 'n' cum lettuce in its wake - I wonder what stewed rhubarb and porridge would taste like for breakfast?

No comments:

Post a Comment